About Me

I am a senior at Maranatha Baptist Bible College studying theology and the church. I am preparing for cross-cultural church planting. Cell = 937-776-8834

Pisco

Pisco

Sending Church

Heritage Baptist Church (Pastor Gil Morrow)
113 N. Main St.
Englewood, OH 45322
#937-836-3869

Friday, July 17, 2009

No pain no gain

This week has been the most trying week so far. Sunday night I became sick from something I ate or drank. After resting Monday, I recuperated. Tuesday afternoon, however, I took a turn for the worst. Words cannot express the amount of pain I felt through my abdominal region. The pains were sharp and excruciating. I quickly grew dehydrated as I could not retain any liquids. Finally at 5:30 Wednesday morning, after moaning in agony all night, Jairo practically had to carry me to a taxi, and take me to the emergency hospital. Looking back it was quite the experience. They checked me over, hooked me up to an IV, and gave me some fairly strong pain medicine. After a few short hours, they sent me home with my prescription. I am faithful taking my medicine, resting, and eating on a strict diet. I am much better, but still I lack a lot of necessary energy. Some might be confused why a missionary would “sacrifice” his health, home and convenience. . . . I hardly see being sick a week as a sacrifice when comparing myself to what Christ suffered.

On Monday., before the hospital episode, we visited another small town outside of Pisco. La Villa de Tupac Amara has a population of roughly 20,000 people. Due to many people moving out of Pisco after losing their homes, the population count is hard to be accurate. As we explored this city, we discovered that like every city around here, was full of Catholicism, Pentecostals, and other religious groups and cults. Also, after talking to some of the people, we learned of the drugs, alcoholism, and abuse that are so rampant in this town. One could spend a lifetime planting and building churches in this city alone. To my knowledge, there is no gospel light in this city.

Another interesting experience was a drug deal that went bad about a block away from our apartment. Praise God we were away at the time of the commotion. I was actually on my way home, and would have passed directly by the “commotion,” but I was sovereignly distracted. Once again, my God can take care of His own!

Be in prayer for the children’s clubs we are having daily. Dozens of un-churched children in many neighborhoods are receiving the gospel each week. Pray for us as we proclaim the gospel and for the Spirit to convict and convince these children as only He can.

Also be in prayer for an outreach campaign we are running this Sunday. We will set up in one of the main plazas to do dramas about the gospel, music, and street evangelism. Pray for the Spirits leading, preparation, and provision.

“But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify of the gospel of the grace of God.” Acts 20:24

1 comment:

  1. Guys, I'm praying for you. This is the first opportunity I've had to read all of you blog. I'm amazed to hear all that you are doing in Peru. Sounds like you have an incredible life experience on your hands and a very important ministry with the Peruvian people.

    God truly is able to direct and keep us safe in every situation. Thanks for sharing how the Lord has directed and led you in specific ways to protect you. Those stories are awesome and encouraging. I've had a taste of culture shock, but nothing like you are experiencing I'm sure. Keep strong though guys. The eternal blessings of this trip will far outway the shortterm trials you're experiencing.

    God speed my bro's. Love in Christ- JON BENNETT

    ReplyDelete